Thursday, September 18, 2008

Upcoming weekend!

I continue to do very well here! I feel more and more adjusted every day. Staying here until May actually seems doable. We are learning a lot in school and my Swahili is improving quite a bit! My host family and I are continually bonding. My host mama and I have had a lot of interesting discussions about politics (see the previous post), gender, and business. School never really ends here.

My birthday is Wednesday, so four of us are going out of town this weekend to celebrate. David, another Stephanie, Sarah, and I are going to take a matatu (and old VW bus that takes people places) out to Lake Naivasha, to camp in a tent and go to Hell's Gate National Park. Of all the parks here in Kenya, it's one of two that actually lets you out on foot or on bikes. So we are going to rent mountain bikes and ride through the park to see hippos, zebras, etc. We'll rent a tent and have an adventure! Things in Kenya are necessarily spontaneous, because matatus don't leave at set times and you can't really make a good reservation ahead of time. So we're just going to do our best! What a good way to celebrate my 21st. I will certainly take some pictures to post early next week.

Please keep the comments and emails coming, I love hearing from friends and family!

Love,
Steph

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wishin' you an early Happy Birthday Steph, your 21st will prove to be a lot more eventful and interesting than the typical 21st!!! I just wanna say that you are the most adventerous, dedicated, hardworking young woman I've ever met. I've been readin' your posts and, wow, what an awesome experience that must be there!

Your whacky soon-to-be army infantryman,
-Erik Pee-poopin'-Powell