Monday, September 15, 2008

Crazy, exciting, and dramatic weeknd...

As the subject indicates, what a crazy weekend!

Friday I opted to stay in with my family instead of going out with a large group to a club that mostly white people attend. But it turned out really well: my family and I really bonded! On the weekends, they are so much more free and talkative. We had a good dinner together, lots of fascinating political/social conversation, and watched silly movies together. Little Gloria and I even cuddled a bunch!

Saturday, David, Stephanie and I decided to go to a Masai market, where traditional goods made by a mostly un-urbanized tribe are sold. Immediately we were hounded by people, "Sister, come look at my goods, I make you a good deal." It was incessant. At first it was annoying but eventually you get used to the craziness and it's fun. You also have to bargain HARD. I learned a lot about it. I got a scarf for 250Ksh (~$4) and a bracelet for 50Ksh (<$1). I'm excited to try again and see what I can get. The good are SO beautiful. Very traditional African stuff that is gorgeous. Just going downtown on the bus by ourselves was quite an epic adventure! We haven't really gotten out like that yet.

That afternoon, I got my hair braded at my mama's salon. Just two french braid pigtails, but it's so tight that it looks vaguely African. It's handy because now I won't have to wash it all week, which is good, because the availability of water is very iffy here. There was no water Thursday-Sunday this week, and this is in a very middle-class home.

That night then, a few of us (David, Jon, Adam, Shelinda, and I) decided to go out to a local bar just down the street. I had my first Tusker, which is an East African beer which comes in half-liter bottles. Needless to say, I only had one and a half because they're giant! But it's good beer, so I'm looking forward to more. We definitely stood out in the bar. We ordered "nyama choma," which means roasted meat. It was about five pounds of pure animal, just roasted and handed to us with a pile of salt to dip it in. It was actually VERY delicious! That's how I know I'm adjusting well, when a big pile of meat makes my mouth water...

But my food adventure continued! One of my worst fears here has been the fish. They just fry the fish and give it to you - uncleaned, unskinned, just a fish. Now if you know me you know I am very wary of seafood or even bones in food. And I knew the day was coming that I'd be forced to try this. Well we got back from the bar at 10:20pm, because here staying out late isn't too safe... and waiting for me was none else than a fish. And with 1.5 beers in me, I was totally ready for it. You essentially have to just break it's vertebrae apart and pull the meat out with your fingers. They eat the skin, but I wasn't feelin' it. But all in all it was good! Not too fishy, very tender, and good! Here the fish is very fresh so that helps. I'm very proud of myself. In addition, here, you are very accountable for your food. You see the live animal, you see the dead animal, you see the meat hanging in the store, and you see it chopped off and cooked (sorry vegetarians and vegans). But you know where it comes from and where it was raised. So now I'm much more cool with huge chunks of meat and bones in my food. It's very real.

Anyway, Sunday was also cool. My friend David got dreadlocks at my Mama's salon, so it's nice to bring her some business. We're still not 100% if the dreads will turn out or not though, since white hair is so different from the hair that most Africans here have. Even braiding my hair stumped the ladies, they said that it was too soft! Pretty funny.

So now this week it is back to school. I am learning a lot of good stuff and enjoying school very much. This weekend I may travel, but those plans are still up in the air. I feel much more adjusted this week with food, family, and travel. But still so much to learn!

One other quick note; I have not received any text messages even though I know that a few peopl have tried! So sad! I'm not sure why right now but I'll try to look into it... It should work if you text 254 714 924 051... Alas!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sis,

Do you have Safaricom for your cell provider? I tried to send you a text but this site says you need to enable "SMS from email" by texting EMAIL ON to 123.

Looking forward to more about life in the other hemisphere!

Take care,
Tim

mary y said...

I just had to laugh... someday ask your Uncle Dave about eating carapau (a sardine like fish) in Portugal. They were served just like you describe for your fish. He ate them, but I don't think he ever got to like them. But maybe if he'd had the African beer....who knows?

Unknown said...

Hi Steph, oh I got such a kick out of reading your blog. OMG, what a wonderful adventure for you. Please be careful though, I worry. But it sure sounds like you are having fun. Take care.
Love,
Connie

Anonymous said...

Hey Steph! It's wonderful to read your blog and see all that you've been up to. I know you said that you were proud of yourself for being open minded about the food that is prepared, but I wanted you to know that I'm proud of you too! I don't know how well I would have adjusted to a culture so different from our own, but it sounds like you're doing really well and that you're having a great time too.

Miss you and can't wait to hear more!

Anonymous said...

Steph, if you would like it, I can fix fish whole when you get back. It would save me a lot of work cleaning them. I like this Africa thing....