Friday, November 21, 2008

What exactly do you do at Orongo?

Good question! However, not an easy one to answer.

I have no normal schedule as to what I do, at least not yet. For the most part I shadow one of my supervisors, Moses. Examples of things I do:
  • Attend trainings on HIV/AIDS and TB
  • Attend trainings on the paperwork that US AID (United States Agency for International Development, the department that gives foreign aid) gives the women in the program
  • Run errands in town; bank, various government offices
  • Write reports on home visits
  • Visit people living positively with HIV/AIDS in their home, discuss nutrition, importance of adherence to ARVs, etc.
  • Help teach the orphans in the nursery school
Right now I am spending a lot of time just learning and observing. The organization works with a lot of families (over 1,000 orphans and vulnerable children alone), so I'm getting to know everyone so that they're familiar with me and that they trust me to some degree.

I'm hoping that in the future I can be doing home visits on my own. So far I am enjoying myself and I am learning a lot.

1 comment:

Connie said...

Hi Stephie, well it sure sounds like you are having the adventure of a life time! Please be careful. Swimming in the Nile; wow! When does your mom come visit? Everything is fine in Colorado. It's good to be here and to be with the babies again. They are so good and so cute. Please stay safe. Love reading your blog!!! Take care,
Love, Uncle Tom and Aunt Connie