Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving

A lot of people have asked me how I celebrated Thanksgiving while in Kenya. The actual day was very uneventful... To be honest, it was a bad day at work for me, so I was grumpy a lot of the day. But after work, a friend and I went to watch the sun set at Hippo Point, which is a beautiful spot along the lake. On our way back, we ran into another friend of mine, Sarah, and we just stopped to chat. All of a sudden it began to rain, of course, so we ran into the nearest building. It was a member's only club, but we were soaked and knew we had to wait it out. Somehow Sarah and I convinced this fat old man to let us in for a beer, even though we weren't members and didn't want to pay the 200Ksh (~3$) to be a member. So, my thanksgiving dinner was half a liter of Tusker and a chocolate bar. But in the company of friends along the lake, I didn't mind.

However, on Saturday, I had a more proper celebration. Jen and Tasha, two Americans that are married/engaged to Kenyans, graciously hosted an elaborate dinner at their apartment. It was a large group of Americans, some Kenyans, and lots of food! There was turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, two kinds of stuffing, green bean casserole, squash... WOW. The spread was amazing and delicious. We indulged in some electronic-entertainment (aka watching a movie), then I went home to bed! All in all, not so bad.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Steph, glad to hear you got to celebrate Thanksgiving yesterday! It was great talking to you Thursday. :) Our house is decorated for Christmas- tree and all- now that Thanksgiving is over. It's snowing here today- predicted storm total of 4-9 inches, but so far not much has stuck because the ground is still warm. Hope you're doing well! Love, Jessica