Thursday, November 27, 2008

Bugs, bugs, bugs.

I think most of you had heard the scorpion story (got bit in the leg in a Maasai village), and there's where the bugs truly began. Living in Kenya is not for the faint of heart. It's ridiculously hot, there are lions, it's fairly unsafe... And the insects. Cockroaches, giant beetles, giant wasps, scorpions, giant spiders, fire ants; everything the US has but bigger and far more frightening. Since the scorpion bite, I've had a few run-ins worth sharing. Often when I enter the bathroom (hole in the ground surrounded by tin), I am met by a giant cockroach. I don't know if it's the same one or different ones, but this guy is huge: two inches long or so. I've taken to opening the door with one finger. They don't really cause any harm, but I think it's the giant cockroaches that weird me out the most.

I also have a cockroach infestation in my laptop. I first discovered this when I was sitting in a coffee shop with my friend Andre. All of a sudden a little cockroach ran out on my keyboard and I wasn't too surprised because they're really all over. I told Andre, and then he looked up and saw that there were a bunch running out the back of my computer. Now whenever I use it and it gets heated up, a few run out. Not sure how I'll solve that...

The other infestation I have is an interesting type of wasp that keeps making it's home on my towels. When I don't use one for a few days, I come back and there's a little home for just one wasp made on the towel. It's like a mud cocoon. Often the wasp isn't in there, so I just peel off the mud house, or whatever it is, and put it in the laundry bin.

The flies are also out of control here, but you get used to it quickly. They are literally in swarms. When I sit in the office, there will be about five on me, ten on the desk, and countless others swarming around. At first you try to swat them away, but eventually you just let them crawl all over. The beetles that are bigger than 25 cent quarters don't even phase me anymore. I'm toughening up!

2 comments:

Connie said...

Hey Stephie, well the laptop story took the cake! Your laptop literally has bugs! Unbelievable. And I get annoyed at a few Asian Beetles at the campground. Hope you are being safe. When is your mom coming there? You are so brave. Keep up the good work. I know you will. We had a snow storm here in Colorado last night. Only about 3 to 4 inches but very beautiful this morning when I went out to get the paper. Trees all coated with white; beautiful! All is well here. The babies are just awesome. Here is a link to a cute little video of just ordinary happenings at the Burkhard household. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BylM3YEIqPY
Love and miss you.

Judy said...

Hi Steph,

I think I am finally able to leave a comment!! I have tried and tried before but it always boots me out. Anyway, I love reading your blogs ... they are so interesting. You are a very good writer.

The white water rafting trip you took sounded so awesome! Emma is just learning about the Nile in school! :)

I think the spiders you mentioned would be enough for me to pack it up but I suppose like anything, you just get used to it.

Were you able to celebrate Thanksgiving in any way?

I would like to hear more about your newest host family ~ maybe some pictures too! You can always e-mail if you choose. BJeek@yahoo.com

We all miss you and think about you every day! Take care of yourself!

Love,
Judy