Monday, December 08, 2008

Exams and Retreat

My exams are through! I think I really nailed them. I didn't study as much as I could have, mostly because I'm mostly on African time now, so I have gotten slow and possibly a bit lazy. But as I wrote my exams, I was feeling like I really knew what I was saying. So that's a weight off my shoulders. I have one of four papers done, but I'm working steadily and quite well.

During exam time we spent two nights in a nice guest house here in Nairobi. By American standards it was fairly nice, but by Kenyan standards it was pure luxury. I took a hot shower. I used a toilet. I ate vegetables. There weren't cockroaches. It was amazing!!! On a more serious note, it gave me a much needed break and time to think. I was able to reflect on the semester and realize how much I have already learned. I could be going home on Saturday with half the other kids, but I have chosen to stay. (Even though my Grandpa says I should come back now, and on bad days I agree.) I'm lucky enough to have the time and capacity to be here, to continue challenging myself and to continue learning.

I think I finally realized what a crazy thing I'm doing. It seems so day to day when you're here, but this is a big experience. It's exactly the kind of life I want, challenging, experiential, and international. This fits perfectly with what I want to do in the future, ideally working for the UN or a governmental organization doing something in the gender arena. This is exactly where I want to be right now in my education and career path, as well as personal development.

I thought about why I came in the first place, and how much I have fulfilled those goals. I came to scare myself, to gain career experience, to learn about a different culture, to see how women's issues differ in Africa, and of course to beef up my resume. So far I have done all of those things, and I will continue to next semester as well.

Next semester will be more in the field, which will continue to be challenging and rewarding. I won't have classes anymore, but I will have a large first-hand research project. The work I do next semester should be master's level; I'll have my own primary sources from the field and from the community I worked with (I'll post my proposal up when it's done in January). It will not only be an honors senior thesis but also something that maybe I could publish, or build off of on the future. I don't think I have ever been so excited about an academic paper before!

I'm feeling more optimistic and confident that I have in quite a while! Oh, and on Saturday night I went clubbing for the first time in Nairobi. It was a total blast and worth the lack of sleep I got. Gotta keep stepping out of the box I guess.

1 comment:

mary y said...

I am finally up to date on your adventures, my computer has been down (Vista problems) and I am so glad to read about everything. I hope you enjoy your Mom's trip coming up.