Wednesday, October 22, 2008

From Lamu to Kisumu: across the country

Wow. I don't know where to begin!

Last Thursday morning, I decided that I wanted to travel about 16 hours to the tropical island of Lamu, off Kenya's northern coast. David decided to accompany me. (No, we're not dating.) So on Thursday night, we found a night bus and hopped on! The trek is long and difficult. One can fly, but why do that when you can get there for less than $20 (1500Ksh to be exact). Ten hours by bus to Mombasa, 2 hours by matatu to Malinda, 4.5 very bumpy hours to the end of the continent, 30 minutes by ferry to the island: we arrived Friday at 4pm.

Lamu is the most beautiful place I have ever seen, second only to the area surrounding my family's cabin in Northern Wisconsin (the north woods will always be my favorite). Lamu is technically a number of small islands, but we spent most of our time on the main island. It is a traditional Swahili community, although there is a lot of Arabic and Indian (or Asian as it is called here) influences. Many white people (wazungu) visit but it isn't touristy per se, because there is an actual community there. The community is mostly Muslim, and all the women were in bui-bui's, or hijab, about half the time with only their eyes showing. Five times a day you can hear the Muslim call to prayer from numerous mosques throughout the city. It's beautiful, to say the least. The architecture and city structure is traditional Swahili, similar (but much better) to Mombasa's old town. The streets weave in and out with beautiful carved doors and built in sewers. It was ungodly hot, and their hot season is just beginning! There is a constant sea breeze, which is the only thing making the climate tolerable.

We mostly just relaxed. We spent a lot of time on the beach, where you can see the ridiculous sunburn I got (I was not very thorough with my sunscreen, 2 degrees from the equator). We also took a dhow ride, which is a sail boat that'll take you around the islands. Ours took us to another island, made us a delicious lunch, and let us fish/snorkel. Quite enjoyable! David and I met a Canadian couple who were very fun to chat with - I have to admit, I enjoy talking to other white people outside the MSID program who are in Kenya. I like to know how they survive, what they're doing, etc.

Eventually though, we made the long trek home. We had a "layover" in Mombasa for an afternoon, so I got to walk around the area and familiarize myself a little bit for when I go back, either with my mom or to visit friends. We arrived in Nairobi on Tuesday morning: I was in bad shape. Very very tired from the nightbus, and my feet and ankles were extremely swollen, not to mention the sunburn! But I did an entire day of school.

On Sunday, I found out that we're going out to our internships a day early, on Thursday. Which is tomorrow. I have a lot to do in a very short amount of time. In 24 hours I will have a new host family in a new city, with a new full-time internship coming on Friday. A lot of changes in a very short period of time. Wish me luck!

I don't know how internet access will be, although I'm sure I'll be able to get to internet at least once a week. It is just a matter of me living or working in Kisumu and if not, then how far away I am. Hopefully my internet addiction will continue to be fed!!!

By the way, I loaded a bunch of pictures onto Flickr. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steph, Oh I so enjoy reading your posts but worry about you. You are sooooo brave! Please be careful. Your Uncle Tom and I are well and getting ready to get back to Colorado next Tuesday and Wednesday. I'm so looking forward to seeing the kids and the babies again. I miss them. We've had a great season at the campground this year but this time of year, I'm anxious to leave. The weather is turning cold and I need the sunshine of Colorado. I talked about you the other day to one of my business collegues from Sun Microsystems. I am in charge of handling cargo claims and one of our machines was missing. It turned up in Nairobi! So of course I told my friend that you were there! She thought you were brave too. Take care Steph and we'll stay in touch. BTW, love the pictures. Hope the sunburn is better soon!
Love,
Connie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update, Steph. Winter weather is finally arriving here. Snow is predicted for Northern WI tomorrow! Think snow!