Sunday, April 26, 2009

Anyone reading anymore?

It has been a very long time since I've posted. Honestly, in these last two weeks, all I've done is my schoolwork and some errands. I went out a couple times to take my mind off things, but wow, it was mostly school work.

I finished my research paper, thank goodness. It was 52 pages long, and when it was bound like a little book, I felt so proud. (I'll post a short version of my findings in a little bit.) It was an entire semester of work. Interviews, focus groups, surveys, literature, and WRITING. It could have been better, of course. There were time limits, financial limits, etc. But I did the best I could given my circumstances. I'm hoping when I get back to the US that I can edit it and possibly use it for my senior thesis somehow.

I'm currently in the London airport. It breaks my heart a little bit to leave Kenya. I know it has to happen, and I'm ready for it. I did my year abroad, I miss home... But still, this experience is over. Life was so exciting, always adventurous, but also so relaxed. I already miss Kisumu. I had to try so hard not to cry (extremely inappropriate in Luo culture), but that family loved me and I loved them. They took such good care of me, and as much as they could, treated me like I was a member of their own family. It was a very authentic relationships, and we learned a lot from each other. I can't help but hope that I can go back to see them.

I was always closer with my Kisumu family, but it hurt to leave my Nairobi family too. While they had some very different beliefs than me (such as listening to the radio allllllll night), they also always looked out for me and just cared about my safety. They paid attention to my likes and dislikes and wanted to see that I was comfortable.

As I mentioned, it's the sense of adventure that I'll miss. There are so many interesting places to travel here, little things to do... I don't know how I can adapt to a more routine life. But I think I'll try mountain biking, and more skiing in the winter. Life should be enjoyable and interesting.

In short, my abroad experience was good. The program I'm with, MSID, had some serious issues. The academic aspect was extremely lacking, but I read so many books on my own that I learned a lot anyway. Plus, how could you not learn when you're living in Kenya for almost a year? I can see my flaws so clearly now. I don't know if I'm any closer to being a completely laid back person, but at least I am self-aware enough to know that I have work to do.

The London airport feels weird. Part of the reason that it feels weird is that it's so natural. But I'm very aware of everything. As soon as we got into the airport people were rushing me. I wanted to tell them to slow down, no rush! We're all going to end up in the same place! Somehow I don't think this mentality will really fit in the hyper-drive US. Caution: I may be a little lazy, or annoyingly late.
There are also a TON of shops here. And there are things I want to buy. American consumerism never really leaves you, does it? There are stores with cute clothes, Clinique make-up, and lots of books. I'll try to hold back.

So I'll be home by evening on Sunday, as long as the flights go as planned. How crazy will that be, to walk into my house, see my cats, lay on a bed with PILLOWS......Oh my god. Pillows and running water. I'm looking forward to it.

6 comments:

Brian said...

Still reading, and it's been wonderful to be able to keep up with what you're up to! I hope we can see each other soon -- do you still like coffee?

Becca said...

Hey Steph,

You don't know me but I'm going on the MSID program to Kenya next fall...reading your blog has made me so excited! Thanks for the interesting tales, and for making your blog public and posting other people's blogs...it's made for some good procrastination.

Becca C-W
Grinnell College!

JackSummers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JackSummers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

oh

g said...


Important news for our country , read and share your opinions : "Exclusive: Narok MP gets engaged to his longtime lover"
https://tuko.co.ke/178928-exclusive-44-year-old-odm-mp-engages-a-beautiful-city-lawyer-photos.html